Grilled Apricot Summer Salad With A Simple Hemp Oil Vinaigrette (V,Gf)
Author: Royal Hemp Date Posted:21 January 2019
With summer in full heat, the only thing I ever want to eat is something refreshing and uses the bare minimum of heat. This summer salad ticks both boxes. It’s refreshing, fruity and zingy. The grilled apricots add a smoky, sweet and fruity addition which pairs so well with the kale. Make sure to MASSAGE YOUR KALE because not only does it break it down and make it easier to digest, quite like wilting, but it also makes it tastes much better and less bitter. You can really use any fat, such as coconut oil or olive oil, but I prefer avocado because I love avocado (duh). I also used quinoa penne pasta in this salad, but feel free to use any pasta you have on hand.
The salad dressing is a super simple vinaigrette made with hemp seed oil, lemon and salt + pepper. I used the cold pressed hemp seed oil from Royal Hemp and I think it’s my new favourite pantry staple. It’s got a distinct nutty flavour which works well in salad dressings and dips. Just make sure not to cook with hemp oil as it has a low smoke point and can even cause it to hydrogenate at high temperatures. I’ve dropped some interesting hemp oil facts below.
Here’s some hemp seed oil facts:
- Rich in Omega-3 & 6
- Gluten & lactose free
- RIch in vitamin E & D
- Boosts immune system
- Powerful antioxidant
- Anti-aging effects
- Promote skin and hair health
- Lowers cholesterol and promotes heart health
- 2 stems kale, trimmed and washed
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup pasta of choice ( I used Quinoa Penne)
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- Handful of blueberries
- 2 apricots
- 1 tbsp Royal Hemp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp Royal Hemp cold pressed hemp seed oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp or more salt
- Crack of black pepper
- Cook your pasta in boiling salted water and per instructions from box. Strain once cooked and let cool.
- Place your kale in a bowl, mash the avocado and massage into kale using your hands. This will break down the kale and make it tastier and easier to digest. Set aside.
- Cut your apricots in half and remove the pit. Heat a grill pan on high and brush a little oil. When hot enough, place the apricot halves onto the pan and let cook for 3-5 minutes or until nicely caramelised and brown.
- Chuck in the pasta, the tomatoes, blueberries and apricot halves into the bowl of kale. Sprinkle the hemp seeds, sunflower seeds and crack a little salt + pepper.
- To make the vinaigrette (dressing), simply mix Hemp Seed oil with lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
- Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and enjoy!